Place to put your Basic demos and examples

Moderator: Mmiscool

By forlotto
#47143 TIMER:
objective I think starting off small would be good.
framework I think should be possible without the need for another computer if it was on another computer or phone etc you could likely just use the built in functionality of windows, linux, ios, android to trigger the events easily via wget I would assume. The complexity comes in when you are trying to keep it slim and workable for the esp8266 as a standalone unit while possibly more complex I believe with all of the features we currently allow it is possible to make it happen via basic and an esp8266 12-e or nodemcu ...

Like I said we can print the date and time very easily scraping it from the net. Or you could use an rtc with a rechargeable battery. But the values would need to be stored in a file in case of a power outage. RTC would allow for a fairly bullet proof timer but it may also be possible to keep time in a file and have that time updated every minute and then checked against the web every 1hour to solve any sync issues so really it could be done without an RTC. If it can be done without an RTC I believe it would be a better proof of concept on how good basic really is at achieving just about anything.

10 timers per day for 8 separate relays is my personal goal.

However for a timer framework the esp8266 really only has about 6 GPIO's for on/off functionality that I would like to call safest for use. So I think for a framework we should stick to this as other GPIO's from my testing cause conflict! A framework is something that can be built off of technically we really only need two timers per day for two relays and anyone could then build off of that because it shows how to check things in multiples. But, if you want to go all in and do the 6 surefire relays by all means this would work and it would allow for people to also slim down the code as they seen fit.

These are just thoughts in my head.

GPIO EXPANDER:
Yes I could build the GPIO Expander I have plenty of capabilities have a nice work room setup for such a thing I do not have anything like an oven for smd but I have still reworked some smd smt and bga with my hot air station using a temp sensor and the oven flow chart data I could find on the net and manually counting the seconds and moving the heat gun further away from the surface to adjust the temperature with success. Flux and hot air at low speed to add the new components some things I've fixed were LCD smd zener diodes for smps. PS3 YLOD lots of these units likely somewhere in the relm of 35+ units that come to mind. Tablets, phones etc... However I have had a few things I have ruined as well part of the job for me.

I am not sure what values of resistors you are using to make it happen I see they are axial and maybe the datasheet would provide info but I am curious if there isn't a better GPIO expansion mcu something that only requires the use of the chip itself with everything already packaged allowing you to just hook into the chip and possibly at the most add your resistors. I see in your example it requires the use of more than 1 chip. I love solutions that eliminate the need for extras I suppose which is why basic kind of resonated with my thinking.

I will look into gpio expansion and see what resistors are required 1/2 watt 100ohm axial I believe is what you were trying to say they were.

UPDATE:
So you were only using the single chip and an esp01 to do all of that ? Hrmmm now that is interesting ! Sorry I missed this part of it that would be perfect. Excellent work!
By cicciocb
#47168 Yes, this works with a simple ESP-01 and one 74hc595.
Optionally an IR receiver can also be connected.
It's a funny project as it's very small. It can be very cheap (less than 10$).
The code demo published permit to control the relays with the UDP and with the RC controller.