Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By bjpirt
#1541 Hello all,
Wondering if someone might be able to shed some light on the error I'm getting. I've followed all of the steps on the wiki to get my dev environment set up, successfully compiled the at firmware but hit a roadblock when trying to upload this to the module. When I try to flash I get this:

Code: Select all$ ./esptool.py --port /dev/ttyUSB0 write_flash 0x00000 0x00000.bin
Connecting...
Erasing flash...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./esptool.py", line 341, in <module>
    esp.flash_begin(len(image), args.address)
  File "./esptool.py", line 174, in flash_begin
    struct.pack('<IIII', size, 0x200, 0x400, offset))[1] != "\0\0":
  File "./esptool.py", line 106, in command
    raise Exception('Invalid response')
Exception: Invalid response

Any ideas? All suggestions gratefully received!
Cheers,
Ben
By bjpirt
#1543 Replying to myself here...

I wasn't able to get esptool to successfully flash my device, but did manage to get the XTCOM utility to upload new firmware. I uploaded the 0.9.2.2 AT firmware image from electrodragon but unfortunately I just seem to get noise on the serial line when it boots up. I've tried pretty much every baud rate and taken a look at the waveform with my logic analyser but it doesn't seem to represent anything. Some more details in case they trigger any thoughts on what I could do to proceed; I've got CH_PD at 3.3V and I've tried it with GPIO0 both floating and tied to ground. When it's floating, I get two rapid flashes of the status LED, when it's tied to ground I only get one. Some places I've read say this should be at GND, but others don't mention it. Not sure what the right thing to do with it is.

If I can just manage to get a firmware file on and get it working then I can start hacking :-)

Any help or suggestions very much appreciated.
Cheers,
Ben
By bjpirt
#1552 Replying to myself again...

Obviously I hadn't tried every baud rate - I read somewhere that this firmware runs at 9600 baud which I had thought was way too slow to be likely so tried that and it works. Now to start hacking the firmware :-)

Cheers,
Ben