Current Lua downloadable firmware will be posted here

By alonewolfx2
#2531 I agreed.

but I won't consider installing something on my ESP8266 unless I have the source for it: after all this was the main motivation for hacking this device.
By gerardwr
Squonk wrote:Ok, I appreciate Lua's portability and readability but I don't care about stability, and I don't care too if the code is ugly or not, but I won't consider installing something on my ESP8266 unless I have the source for it: after all this was the main motivation for hacking this device.

I agree, you have to be careful about any security vulnerability nowadays.

But……. it's a cool development that zeroday has published! Especially for people that will/can not handle C development it's an excellent way of programming the ESP8266 without struggling with compilers, linkers, etc. And for the rest of us, it's an excellent tool for prototyping, converting to C can be done later.

I'm going to give it a try, my router has a "public" Wifi net that's not connected to my LAN, going to use that, better safe than sorry.

Good work, zeroday!
By Squonk
gerardwr wrote:But……. it's a cool development that zeroday has published! Especially for people that will/can not handle C development it's an excellent way of programming the ESP8266 without struggling with compilers, linkers, etc. And for the rest of us, it's an excellent tool for prototyping, converting to C can be done later.

I agree that having Lua on the ESP8266 can be very useful, but in my experience, the "not for now" and the dot com site "comming soon~~~" is a good indication that someone will try to sell me something soon, and that opening the sources will never happen.

I hope I am wrong.