So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By perigalacticon
#59298 I have the Addicore ESP8266-01 module:

http://www.addicore.com/ESP8266-ESP-01-p/130.htm

and I am trying to use it with the Arduino IDE serial monitor by monitoring the module serial port through an Uno, see this instructions:

http://www.martyncurrey.com/arduino-to-esp8266-serial-commincation/

I have double checked the wiring and supply voltage is from a regulator @ 3.3V.

I get garbage on the serial monitor and some text. I have changed many combinations of baud rates, between the esp8266 and the Uno and the Uno and the IDE. Different portions of it are legible depending on the baud rates I select. There is no response from AT commands, or just "AT", at all.

This is one example of what I get when both are set to 115200 baud:
Code: Select allsll??s?c?o ??l?p?|????8????? sll??s?c?o ??l?p?|????p???????p ?p?o?loo?c cp??cl`slp?o??? ???l c o??ol l?? c?>?o?l??l`sll??s?c?o ??l?p?|????p???????p ?p?o?loo?c cp??cl`slp?o??? ???l c o??ol l?? c?>?o?l??l`?oo l`os???s ??slp?o??? s????? c o??o?????p ?|?o? l`?oo l`os???s ?slp?o??? s??????? c o??ol?s? c?>?o? l`?oo l`os???s ???l`s??s ???l`sl??o??p?o???csooo?l?cssl ?d????l????? ? ??lllsl ?l???llo? ? ?c?ll ?l?????pso?lcc????ll?c llpc??`l???ocscs??occll??s ??|??ol?? l l`sldon't use stc mem data
??sl??g?
Ai-Thinker Technology Co. Ltd. WIFI DISCONNECT

When I cycle the power I get slight variations of this and sometimes characters are not correct.

There is no support forum at Addicore. Is there anyone here that has used this module before that might be able to help me with this? This is my first time using an esp8266.

Thanks,
Stephen
By Ozzie
#59380 Check the 74880 baud rate, I'll bet you get a message like this on boot:

Code: Select all ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,7)

load 0x4010f000, len 1384, room 16
tail 8
chksum 0x2d
csum 0x2d
v09f0c112
~ld

That boot message becomes garbage at any other baud rate, so just ignore it. Switch back to 115200, and make sure you're set to "Both NL & CR" for your line ending, then see if you get any response to an "AT" command.