The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By SupDoc
#81916 I'm just setting up a lap top to run Arduino IDE, and installed a fresh copy of the latest - 1.8.9 I went to Sketch=>Include Library=>Manage Libaries=>ESP8266WiFi, and got nothing, so I can't run my IOT sketches on my laptop.
The ESP8266WiFi is in my Include statements in my IOT sketches of my desktop, but when I look into the libraries of my desktop, it doesn't show there either. Anyone has an answer for me?
By Bonzo
#81917 You can download them from here: https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino and copy them to your Arduino libraries folder.

From memory I think they were installed when I setup the board manger etc. There are plenty of tutorials on how to setup the Arduino IDE to work with the ESP8266 online.
By floresta
#81947 I am having the same problem and, although it may work, I do not believe that putting the ESP8266 libraries in with the regular Arduino libraries is the correct solution.

The ESP8266 libraries have always been placed in a different location altogether, in my case deep within the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Arduino15 folder. They have always been found in that location and they can still be found on the computer that I have upgraded to v1.8.9. It is on two new installations that the IDE cannot find them, even with the libraries in the equivalent location and with the same source code.

Don