Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Sweetpants
#15397 Bingo, i've cut the RST wire close to the ESP chip and put a 100nf Capacitor from RST to ground. First tests looking good, switched for a few hundred times now with load and no more resets. Before it reset almost every time.

ESP8266_back.jpg

Edit: Modified a second module, also running fine now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By kenn
#15400 According to the ESP8266 literature, the EXT_RSTB pin is active low, meaning it should normally be held high.

In some circuits, like the Olimex one, they've pulled this pin to 3.3v with a 12k resistor. This is pretty common practice for mcu reset inputs.

So for the ESP-01 I would suggest adding a resistor from the RST pin of your socket to 3.3v, or even just joining RST to 3.3v if you're not going to need a reset button, instead of having to directly mod your ESP-01.
By Sweetpants
#15403 The problem is not the pull-up resistor (is is already pulled up internally) but the design of the ESP-01 module. When you switching relays the RST line is picking up EMP/noise and will cause resets. Just touch the RST pin with a screwdriver and you will see what i mean. Even with a 10K pull-up this will happen. The wire from the RST header pin to the ESP chip acts as an antenna picking up EMP/noise. The ESP chip is very sensitive to this noise. Since my modification, I have not seen any resets. Down side of this mod is to flash the device I have to GND GPIO0 and power cycle the device to get into flash mode. But I can live with that.