So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By liderbug
#71403 Via RasPi 3. I have a 8266 board with the uUSB and I'm able to run Arduino IDE just fine. So I decided to try a smaller package, just the 8266, no pins, no control chips, no usb, just the can & ant. I've wired it up with 3.3v, rx/tx, tx/rx, gnd 15 & rst high, set cmdline.txt per instructions, port=ttyAMA0 and upload "Blink" ... compiles and Sketch uses 224.... and Global variables use... IDE hangs or if I try a different cmdline.txt I get
Code: Select allAn error occurred while uploading the sketch
error: failed sending 0xC0
error: failed sending 8 bytes
warning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_open failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

and the web hasn't been a lot of help because, "should be com1", apt install xyz (already done), diff chip config.
By QuickFix
#71407 Which of the ESP-boards are you using, ESP-01 or ESP-12 (probably the latter)?
Most often made mistake is the connection of CH_PD (must be pulled HI), RESET (pulled HI and momentarily LO to reset) and FLASH ( = GPIO0, momentarily pulled LO at boot).

Below image is for an ESP-01, but the connections for any other ESP-board are the same (only the pin numbers and locations are different):
By liderbug
#71529 Thanks for the response.

<sigh> no joy. ( first, a delay, remodel of bathroom, floor, bathtub wall ->ceiling, vanity & splash...)

So I got back to the project - I am/was going for the minimal config/hardware. I wired exactly per your drawing- with exception gpio0 which I took to be en[able],
As printed on back of board.
Code: Select all      | |_|_|
rst            tx
adc            rx
en             05
16             04
14             08
12             02
13             15
vcc           gnd
-------------------
cs0, mis0, 09, 10, hosi(mosi), sclk

I'm not sure I have the IDE configured right:
Board: Generic 8622
Flash: DIO (tried all 4)
f freq: 40
c freq: 80
f size: 512
d port: serial
d lev: none
Rst: ck (tried nodemcu)
upload: 9600 (tried 115200)
Port: /dev/ttyAMA0

I've tried swapping tx/rx, nope, I still get the same
error: failed sending 0xC0
error: failed send...
about 30+ lines and upload_mem failed

I was trying to get away from the NodeMcu board - size & pins.