The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By SupDoc
#82002 Hi Don,
I got help from a professional C programmer. His suggestion fixed my problem. I'll pass it onto you. That fixed my compile issue, but now the upload is a problem. I am using a laptop, that may be a separate issue. I'm going to send his fix below, and I will create a separate post for my new problem. Here goes:
Here is a possible fix for your problem:

Go to:
c:\documents and settings\administrator\local settings\application data\ arduino15\packages\esp8266\tools\xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc\2.5.0-3-20ed2b9\xtensa-lx106-elf\include\c++\4.8.2\
Now create a folder called
bits
Now go to

c:\documents and settings\administrator\local settings\application data\ arduino15\packages\esp8266\tools\xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc\2.5.0-3-20ed2b9\xtensa-lx106-elf\include\c++\4.8.2\xtensa-lx106-elf\bits
and copy everything (outline with mouse and click Ctrl-c)
Now go to

c:\documents and settings\administrator\local settings\application data\ arduino15\packages\esp8266\tools\xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc\2.5.0-3-20ed2b9\xtensa-lx106-elf\include\c++\4.8.2\bits
and paste the previously copied stuff there
(ctrl-v)
By floresta
#82004 Actually the solution is a lot simpler, at least in my case, as I found out last night. It seems that, since this was a new installation, the 'board' was set to the default 'Uno'. With this setting the IDE does not look for the ESP8266 libraries and they do not appear with the 'Contributed Libraries' in the 'Include Library' menu.

As soon as I changed the board type to one of the ESP8266 choices all was good!

Don