You can chat about native SDK questions and issues here.

By vonny232
#82511 Hi Folks,

Delving back into an ESP8266 project after several years. Things have moved on a lot since I last worked on this.

We are using the ESP-06E which has a 1MB flash. I know newer variants use larger flash, though we dont want to change the module flash chip unless absolutely necessary.

Anyway, I note the latest NonOs SDK is up to 3.0

In the release notes, it says:
"Limited by the size of the AT bin files, only 1024+1024 flash map is supported by default. Therefore, please choose 16Mbit/32Mbit-C1 flash size when flashing these AT bin files with Espressif's Flash Download Tools."

Does this mean the 3.0 does not natively support the 1MB flash option, or is it something which can be configured to work?

Secondly, does the default build support TLS/SSL or is this something I need to enable via a compiler option in the SDK?

Thirdly, Is there any chance of getting the FOTA update option to work on the 1MB flash version, or is that simply a bridge too far?
By quackmore
#82521 questions 1 and 3:
looking at the partition table macros into the nonOS sdk examples (user_main.c)
it seems that the 1MB flash with FOTA 512+512 is supported
you just have to select the flash map SPI_FLASH_SIZE_MAP = 2

the flash sectors starting from 0xFB000 are reserved and user2.bin starts at 0x81000 so you will have a limit size for your binary of 0x7A000 (488 KB)
(that's likely the reason the AT bin files are not supported by this flash map, probably they are bigger that that)

then consider that you won't have any user data, so if you will need persistent memory for your app you will have to further diminish your binary size

question 2:
non-os-sdk provides ssl APIs, I never used them but I suppose you should just check you are linking the ssl library
By loboris
vonny232 wrote:Hi Folks,

Delving back into an ESP8266 project after several years. Things have moved on a lot since I last worked on this.

We are using the ESP-06E which has a 1MB flash. I know newer variants use larger flash, though we dont want to change the module flash chip unless absolutely necessary.

Anyway, I note the latest NonOs SDK is up to 3.0

In the release notes, it says:
"Limited by the size of the AT bin files, only 1024+1024 flash map is supported by default. Therefore, please choose 16Mbit/32Mbit-C1 flash size when flashing these AT bin files with Espressif's Flash Download Tools."

Does this mean the 3.0 does not natively support the 1MB flash option, or is it something which can be configured to work?

Secondly, does the default build support TLS/SSL or is this something I need to enable via a compiler option in the SDK?

Thirdly, Is there any chance of getting the FOTA update option to work on the 1MB flash version, or is that simply a bridge too far?

Here you can find the solution with OTA and much improved SSL/TLS support (and many other things) which uses the latest SDK and works very good on on 1MB Flash.
It is promary made to build the AT command firmware, but can be easily adapted for other projects.
By atesin
#84606 i am not sure ... i am trying todo the same thing, i want to take advantage of ATv1.7 passive mode and ntp on my esp-01s (1mb 512+512)

... but it seems binary bundled into nonos sdk3 only supports 2mb and up (1024+1024), so i guess i have to recompile

anyway, when compiling i get the error "the flash map is not supported" (i had to copy <sdk>/examples/at to <sdk>/ before), and browsing the source i can't find where the 1mb flash is supported as you say

Code: Select all#elif (SPI_FLASH_SIZE_MAP == 2)
#error "The flash map is not supported"

( https://github.com/espressif/ESP8266_NO ... main.c#L31 )

*** now the question***: how ATv1.7 can be flashed and get work (i.e.: saving configs) on esp-01s 1mb ???

p.s: i tried LoBo firmware but it doesn't have passive mode