Chat freely about anything...

By LBussy
#84850 Since anything you ever want is on the Internet, I must be using the wrong search criteria. Hopefully, someone reads this and can point me in the right direction,

Mac users probably already have Python. Certainly, a Linux user has or can figure out how to get Python so esptool.py and some directions are suitable to distribute firmware to users. The problem I am having is that the average Windows users can barely click their way into their email.

So what I am looking for is a Windows library, an application, a half-assed project, anything, which can be pre-packaged into a "run this" Windows app to flash a controller.

I have experimented with PyInstaller, which sounds cool but I've not been able to get it to work with Python 3.x.

I think you get the idea ... anyone have any tips/hints?
By btidey
#84910 Maybe clarify further what you are trying to achieve might help generate input.

For example, are you trying to distribute a binary and allow end users to flash modules with it? If so then you need to consider factors like the target module and the environment they might use for flashing. Normally compile time options vary from board type to type; memory size, flash access method (QIO, DIO) etc. Then the flashing will depend upon com port etc.

Also are there any customisations, wif access settings, configuration settings, SPIFF files that need to be supported?

It is possible to pckage esptool.py as an exe for direct execution on windows platforms if that makes things easier.
By LBussy
btidey wrote:are you trying to distribute a binary and allow end users to flash modules with it?

Yes, exactly. Specifically, a Wemos D1 Mini firmware + spiffs. I'd like Windows end users to be able to download and execute a single application and have it flash the controller.

btidey wrote:Normally compile time options vary from board type to type; memory size, flash access method (QIO, DIO) etc.

This will be a very controlled/specific application. For all the reasons you imply I can not support just anything. If they go buy a D1 Mini it should work - if not then they are on their own with the other tools.

btidey wrote:Then the flashing will depend upon com port etc.

I noted that esptool automatically determines COM ports, but even presenting users with detected available ports is a step in the right direction.

btidey wrote:Also are there any customisations, wif access settings, configuration settings, SPIFF files that need to be supported?

Spiffs only, I expect them to connect to a captive portal upon successful flashing.

btidey wrote:It is possible to pckage esptool.py as an exe for direct execution on windows platforms if that makes things easier.

I had poor luck with that. When I searched for some of my errors I was led to believe that perhaps I was barking up the wrong tree. Your question leads me to believe more effort is in order.

I'm comfortable scripting the Python if I can freeze and package it. If you think that's my best bet, I'll go spend more time on that.