Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By 4est
#95724 I’ve been looking for a solution for the last week or so
I want to measure the duty cycle of the seat heaters

And then transmit it to the steering wheel where another device would replicate it and/or perform adjustmens (like increase or decrease duty cycle)

I would like to use a ESP8266 to read the duty cycle (would this work? Duty Cycle Sensor — ESPHome)

then connect to 2nd ESP8266 (in AP mode?), transmit it there and the 2nd ESP8266 (or ESP32?) would replicate the PWM, not necessarily with the same frequency, but with similar (or intentionally modified) duty cycle

What else could I do?
By rooppoorali
#95897 Using an ESP8266 to read the duty cycle of the seat heaters and then transmitting that data to a second ESP8266 in AP mode to replicate the PWM signal with a similar or modified duty cycle is a viable solution.

However, before proceeding, it's important to note that interfacing with car electrical systems can be dangerous, and it's important to have a proper understanding of the car's electrical system and the potential risks before attempting to modify it.

You may also want to consider using an ESP32 instead of the ESP8266 for the second device as it has more processing power and memory, which may be useful if you plan to make adjustments to the duty cycle or add additional functionality.

Another option is to use a microcontroller such as an Arduino to read the duty cycle, and then use the ESP8266 or ESP32 to transmit the data wirelessly to the second device. This can give you more flexibility in terms of the type of sensor you can use to measure the duty cycle.

In summary, you can use ESP8266 to read the duty cycle, then connect to 2nd ESP8266(in AP mode) and transmit it there and the 2nd ESP8266 would replicate the PWM. However, be careful when interfacing with car electrical systems, and consider using an ESP32 or a microcontroller in addition to the ESP8266 for more flexibility.